Saturday, July 20, 2013

Hook

The goal of my hook lesson is for students to start thinking about what they know about the US government and how it is designed. I think it would be useful for me to know how students perceive the government and its jobs before I even start teaching the unit. I honestly haven't thought much about the hook lesson until now, but I think that I will start with a clip or two from Schoolhouse Rock, just to get them interested. I haven't decided if I want to do a short overview of US history or just focus on government structure, but I probably use the Preamble song and one about the three branches of government. I would show the clips to the students and then ask then to think about what they know about the government, pair up and share their list with a partner, adding to it if necessary, and then share with the class. Again, this is a very rough idea, but I do know that I want to get a little insight into the students' knowledge with this lesson, to better help plan the lessons in the unit.

1 comment:

  1. This needs to be more defined on final submission. I think the use of the School House Rocks videos will be engaging for the students and serve as a good starting point. They could certainly be returned to throughout the unit. I can't tell if you're using this as a pre-assessment? If so, then I would suggest a written quiz/response after the songs or group work to have it recorded to return to as part of the post-assessment.

    ReplyDelete