Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Reward Systems

I'm not sure how I feel about reward systems. Coming from a Montessori background, I tend to believe that students should want to do well in school for the sole reward of feeling good about a job well done. However, I am practical enough to know that Dr. Maria Montessori was teaching this philosophy in the early part of the century, when teachers did not have to contend with Nintendo DS for students' attention. I want to believe that students will work for intrinsic rewards, and I think that for many students that is true, but I realize that sometimes that's just not enough. Some students do need a little external motivation to be able to succeed academically and socially.

In my field experience, I haven't really seen much in the way of rewards. I know that Salem Elementary has a schoolwide behavior system and they give out rewards, but I haven't noticed much in the classrooms. It is possible that this is because I have observed a fifth grade class and a class on the first day of school. Perhaps the older students didn't need it anymore and the other class just hadn't started yet, I don't know.

I think my use of a reward system will depend on the grade that I will be teaching, but if I do use one it will probably not be used for material rewards. I don't think I like the idea of kids working for candy or prizes, but maybe extra computer time or a class party would be ok. I like the idea of setting a class goal and working together to reach it for a larger reward, rather than just doing smaller rewards, but I suppose those have their place as well. I think that ultimately, I would like to observe more and see a good reward plan in action.  

No comments:

Post a Comment