Saturday, June 1, 2013

Infographics

   So this week we learned how to create infographics. Living under this rock of mine, I never even knew that was a "thing". Of course, I have seen inforgraphics online, but I suppose that it never occurred to me to use them in the classroom or try to create one of my own. For this assignment, I started out with infogr.am and quickly realized that it wasn't user friendly enough for me to do anything with it. So I scrapped my first attempt and moved on to piktochart. This website was much more manageable for me and I was able to choose a design that I thought suited my information well. I did hit some snags when it came to the color template, which was kind of weird, but most everything else was easy to use.  
   I can definitely see a use for infographics in the classroom. It's a fun way to incorporate multimedia, text, and data, which could be used in most areas of the curriculum. I can even see myself using it to present lessons every now and then!
   Just as a fun side note, I started following http://dailyinfographic.com/ and have picked up all kinds of useful(ish) tidbits!

2 comments:

  1. I keep hearing good things about Picktochart. I'm going to try that next time. Easel.ly was okay, but ended up being too buggy to continue with. Maybe after they have a a few more upgrades under their belt, it will improve.

    I can also see using infograms in the classroom - if I were able to distill the content to something useful to the students! I think it's worth trying out different ways of presenting information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the resource! There are a lot of really great infographic examples to learn from.

    ReplyDelete